Saturday, January 09, 2010

Triple Play


This week's new recipe(s): Potage Parmentier, Mini Hamburger Sliders, and Cuban Braised Beef with Peppers
A week full of new firsts...the year's first snow in Nashville, 3 recipes tried for the first time, and the first Alabama National Championship of my fan-hood. After watching Julie & Julia (which my husband surprisingly liked), I made Potage Parmentier (leek and potato soup; thanks, Andrea!) in honor of Julia Child (NOT Julie Powell) with French bread, a Romaine salad, and Chardonnay. I've decided that, for the new year, I would like to try to be more like Julia Child and less like Julie Powell (watch the movie and you'll see why; Julia is much more likeable). Oh-and we're just talking atittude-wise, not cooking-wise! The soup was simple and delicious. For the Alabama-Texas game, my husband insisted we eat some type of cow (to push the Tide toward beating the Longhorns), so we made my mom's recipe for White Castle sliders. Mark bought 80-20 ground beef, thinking that it would be better for burgers. He's right, but not if the meat is being cooked on a cookie sheet. Let's just say that there was a lot of grease-blotting after the meat came out of the oven! Next time we'll go leaner. But they were fantastic, and the whole lot of them were gone in a flash, despite us throwing away some of the beef because we just couldn't imagine how all of those sliders would get eaten. And lastly, while the snow fell, my lovely crockpot cooked braised beef for me. It was delicious!!!! Once again, the crockpot reigns supreme. Shredded lean beef in a sauce of red peppers, diced tomatoes, and spices, served over white rice with fresh cilantro and avocado slices (which really made the dish for me). And it was so pretty that I couldn't help taking a picture, which Mark laughed at for a good 10 minutes. Will definitely be enlisting my crock again for this one! Let It Snow, and ROLL TIDE!!

No comments: